The Director, New Business Development position is based in Washington, DC and will provide support to the Strategic Alliances and Communications Unit in implementing the outreach strategy, leading new business opportunities, and responding to solicitations and requests for proposals from the U.S. government (USG), corporate foundations, and other funding sources. The Director, New Business Development will report to the Sr.Director, Strategic Alliances and Communications, and work closely with junior level, mid-level, and senior staff to pursue funding opportunities at all stages of the new business development process including opportunity identification, intelligence gathering and donor cultivation, and proposal/concept paper development.
The Director, New Business Development candidate must have demonstrated the capacity to lead a team in successful business development from corporations, foundations, and government agencies. Experience in developing public-private partnerships, concept papers and proposals with governments, foundations, and corporations, as well as a track record of successful cultivation of donors with resulting grants and/or gifts is a prerequisite. He or she must be able to make sound decisions based on precedent and procedure, multi-task well, manage program teams focused on multiple priorities, identify and solve problems effectively, and have excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Strong proposal development skills and experience coordinating proposal development processes with public and private donors including USAID, U.S. Department of State, USDOL, U.S. Department of Agriculture, foundations and/or other donors.
- Anticipate, understand and proactively respond to donor needs.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a particular demonstrated ability to interact with key stakeholders.
- Experience developing budgets for new business opportunities.
- Ability to multitask and process information quickly, and exhibit strong attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving ability, outstanding interpersonal skills, and high energy and enthusiasm.
- Strong cross-cultural communication and sensitivity skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize effectively and meet deadlines.
- Significant experience developing and overseeing budgets.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office
The Director, New Business Development functions include
- Provide leadership and collaborate closely with other program units regarding donor cultivation and proposal development per the units’ priorities and initiatives, particularly USG funding opportunities.
- Lead strategies, technical proposal design, and strategizing for proposal development processes.
- Oversee or provide input to fundraising efforts and donor relations.
- Manage the progress of proposal development processes, ensuring milestones are met.
- Develop pre-teaming and teaming agreements with local partners and negotiate technical capacities and budgets as part of the proposal development process.
- Lead and support writing and editing technical documents for new opportunities including proposals, capability statements, and other documents.
- Lead and support the preparation of budgets and accompanying budget narratives.
- Provide oversight to ensure proposals comply with donor requirements.
- Gather intelligence for upcoming opportunities.
- Travel to gather information to design and develop new business opportunities and support other program units with travel prep as needed to maximize outreach opportunities.
- Research, design, and prepare funding proposals to major donors including U.S. government (i.e. USAID, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Labor, among others), corporations, and foundations.
- Lead/support the development of concept notes and proposals including: identifying funding opportunities and conducting outreach, coordinating the proposal team to complete tasks in an efficient manner with a focus on results, leading design meetings and draft reviews, ensuring that the concept note/proposal responds to donor guidelines and requirements, and finalizing proposals for submission.
- Regularly checks relevant external information sources such as Grants.gov, FedBizOpps, among others, for updates, keeping internal records and sharing updated in a timely manner with other programs and units.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with donors, partnering organizations and Chapters, development professionals, and others through program development opportunities transmitting Partners' uniqueness values.
- Identify and communicate Partners' impact and value by producing high-quality proposals, contributing to website content development, and working with program/administrative unit staff to create/update supporting materials for proposals and outreach.
- Lead engagement/negotiation with professionals, representatives from organizations, university representatives, chapter leaders, and others to pursue funding opportunities, screening them to make recommendations to the proposal development team.
- Increase and strengthen partnership development and engagement with the current donors and other key stakeholders.
- Recruits new business consultants and drafting agreements.
- Advance opportunities that engage our network of volunteers, chapters, and member organizations across Latin America and the Caribbean and other geographical areas- as needed.
- Occasional travel to Latin America and the Caribbean to support proposal development process.
- Support donor cultivation and proposal development for non-traditional (non-USG) funding opportunities.
- Participate in Partners-wide or unit specific committees and working groups as appropriate.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; additional duties may be assigned as deemed necessary.
This is a full-time position in our Washington, DC office with occasional travel. The Director, New Business Development will report to the Senior Director, Strategic Alliances and Communications.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to the Senior Director of Strategic Alliances and Communications, Michael Christopher, at email@example.com
Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer Please note that only finalists will be contacted.